6/22/11

Fruits and Veggies from the Co-Op

As I mentioned in my first post, Papa Hob and I decided to try a co-op last week in an effort to get more fruits and vegetables into our diet and maybe spend a little less at the grocery store.  I did a decent amount of budgeting research...okay maybe a little too much :)...before we did this to make sure we would be saving money by doing this and actually be able to incorporate what we bought into our menu.  


So, for the entire month of May I saved every food receipt.  At the end of the month, I took all the receipts and categorized what we bought (luckily the grocery store receipts already do this for you) to see how much we spent on meat, dairy, veggies, fruit, etc.  Like I said, I may have gone a bit overboard on the research but I wanted to make sure we made the most out of the co-op if we were going to try it and saving those receipts and adding the items up took 15 minutes for the entire month!  As it turned out, we were really lacking in the fruits and veggies department and spending way more than we should on two people eating meat should in the span of one month.  


I then ordered the food from a co-op online.  All I had to do from that point was go to pick it up at a pre-designated day/time!  For about $23.00, we got enough fruits and vegetables to last a family two weeks.  Here's what we got....
Look at all those plums!  Tastes
like summer!

Bananas 

Pint Blueberries 

Braeburn Apples 

Black Plums 

Sunkist Navel Oranges

South Carolina Large Peaches

Chiquita Golds Pineapple 

Arkansas Tomatoes 

Cucumbers 

Romaine Hearts 3 to a bag

Red Potatoes

Large Bulk Portabella Mushrooms

Fancy Green Okra 

Lots of red potatoes!  Can't wait to use them to
make rosemary potatoes tonight!

4 comments:

  1. FYI to all the followers Mama Hob and I (Papa Hob)have really enjoyed all the fruits and vegetables so far. Just last night we grilled up some of the wonderful Pineapple and Mushrooms. I take an apple or banana to work everyday which is great for me because I don't eat breakfast before I leave for work. Now we just need to figure out a good recipe for the Okra. Any Suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum, that all looks good! If you get cucumbers, I can show you how to make pickles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so awesome! Have you seen the new "food plate" that is replacing the food pyramid model that we grew up with? Interesting that they say the experts placed too much emphasis on meat being the main focus of meals. Now they are eating those words. Thanks for sharing this. We are doing something similar in our household and it really makes a big difference. I try to buy organic and local whenever I can and it is going over very well with the fam here. You can always freeze veggies and make soup out of it later. I love that. Hope you all are doing well!

    Best, Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  4. @michellemilla-I have seen the new "food plate" but haven't sat down to figure out how close we are to following those guidelines just yet. I think our next project will be figuring out how to make our meals more "efficient" to be able to eat this well after I go back to work. Papa Hob found this website and we are talking about trying to cook then freeze our meat ahead of time to speed up our prep times.
    http://aturtleslifeforme.blogspot.com/2011/06/freezer-meals-on-cheap.html

    Great to hear from you! Hope you and your family are doing well!

    ReplyDelete