7/19/11

Napping Update

I need some thoughts from some fellow mamas and papas.


Here is where we are at with napping.  Little Hob, in the last few days, has decided that naps are okay but mostly only as long as he's being held.  Papa Hob and I were set to begin sleep training with him this week using the Sleepy Planet "Sleepeasy Solution" but now I am questioning whether or not to begin it since he is beginning to sleep.  Is sleeping while being held okay for now and we can transition out of it later or am I creating a bad habit that will have to be broken later on down the road?  I see my options as


a)  Discontinue holding him while he naps and dive into the Sleepyeasy Solution method.


b)  Keep doing what I'm doing and transition slowly to less time being held while sleeping and more time laying in his crib while sleeping.  


Right now I'm leaning toward "b". Based on your own experiences-what do you think?  

3 comments:

  1. Is it horrible to hold your sleeping baby for naps? I still hold Little Man for naps here and there but he slowly got used to napping in his crib. To be quite honest, he usually naps in his swing. Then again, he's not much of a napper, either. I'm lucky if he'll sleep for 30-60 minutes/day. I don't think he's going to be much of a napper...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kiddos go through stages. Whatever it is now, it's temporary. Do you have a sling or a Moby wrap? That would keep your hands free during naptime.

    We had our share of sleep issues - he slept in a swing until 13-14 months (which we had to haul EVERYWHERE and it was only battery operated. I think duracell's entire profit that year was from us). There were times where he would only sleep on us. Then there were times he just didn't nap. At all. At this age, you aren't creating any bad habits, I promise. :)

    It could be a number of things, but if I were you, I'd just go with it. If it's bad right now, just remember - it will pass, and when it's good savor it, because it will pass....

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Renee Anne-I didn't mean to imply it was bad to hold baby for naps. I just want him to sleep lol.

    @The Mama-You are right...this will all pass. Even in the past week or so it seems to be getting better. Little Hob is napping (finally) while I'm holding him and I am working on transitioning from holding him the entire time to slowly tapering off and putting him down to sleep a little sooner each time. Thanks for the insight and encouraging words!

    ReplyDelete